The Queensway began as a small farming community in the late 1800’s. One of the few reminders of the Queensway’s rural past is the little, white, stucco cottage that sits in an old farmers field at 694 Royal York Road.
In 1912, the urbanization of The Queensway led to the creation of the two-room Queensway Public School. This school was expanded in 1923 and then again in 1948. After a long period of growth, The Queensway experienced a decline in population during the 1960’s which led to the closing of the Queensway Public School in 1969.
The former Queensway School was demolished in the 1990’s to make room for the giant Price Club retail complex south of The Queensway at Taymall Avenue. Ironically, the Price Club, like the school before it has become a landmark in The Queensway and has helped to revitalize this neighbourhood.